the spirit of d.a levy looms large over the city of cleveland, and his work as a poet,
artist, publisher, & cultural icon continues to inspire & inform the literary landscape.
the d.a. levy center for progressive poetics exists to perpetuate his legacy,
and celebrate the creative genius of cleveland's "mimeograph revolution" poets.
Please see the below events and commemorative projects.
levy drawing by Aleathia Drehmer
Order from Bottom Dog Press
d.a. levy home page
gary snyder's famous levy essay
a d.a levy chronology
Tracing the Places of d.a. levy (1942-1968)
d.a. levy archive at kent state university
d.a. levy memory project
a d.a. levy satellite
the d.a. levy center for progressive
poetics & the art of the spoken word
1. to perpetuate the literary legacy of cleveland's late, legendary poet, artist & underground publisher d.a. levy, as well as cleveland's "mimeograph revolution" poets of the 1960s.
2. to work with cleveland state university toward its goal of establishing a permanent collection of original d.a. levy material.
3. to encourage an english literature curriculum at cleveland-area colleges and high schools that includes the study of work from local poets both past and present, and emphazises the role of poetry as a community value.
4. to sponsor live readings of levy's work.
5. to push local government to create a "d.a. levy/poetry in cleveland" day of recognition on october 29 of each year (levy's birthday).
6. to work toward the establishment of " levyfest, " a yearly literary symposium that includes scholarly analysis of levy's work, examines the connection between art and poetry, looks at the role of the small-press publisher, offers writing workshops, features live readings & street performance, & concludes with one hell of a big party.
7. to establish a bi-yearly literary journal of experimental poetics.
8. to be an active supporter of first-amendment rights, banned books week, and to work toward the repeal of the anti-american 'patriot act.'
9. to support independent bookstores.
10. to create alliances with institutes of higher learning and literary organizations that share the goals of the d.a levy center for progressive poetics & the art of the spoken word.
-- mark s kuhar, self-appointed executive director
cleveland state university is interested in acquiring original d.a. levy
material as part of its efforts to establish a special collection.
please contact joanne cornelius, or firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have levy material to sell or know anyone who does.
copyright deep cleveland llc, all rights reserved